Amateur (Ham) Radio in New Zealand
Welcome to all Ham Radio operators to Linux.conf.au 2010.
New Zealand has favourable operating terms that will allow most visiting radio amateurs to operate on-air in NZ for up to 90 days with little administrative overhead. Bring your radio!
The New Zealand Association of Radio Transmitters (http://www.nzart.org.nz) is the national association for ZL's. Their site contains a useful information relevant to visiting hams: http://www.nzart.org.nz/nz/visitors.html - and the New Zealand Ministry of Economic Development (the agency responsible for radio licensing) host official information as regards reciprocal licensing at the following URL:
Local Branches and Radio Resources:
- Wellington VHF Group (ZL2WA, Branch 74 NZART) operate several repeaters and beacons in the Wellington area (ref http://www.vhf.org.nz/OurRepeaters ) - their website http://www.vhf.org.nz may be of interest. Of note is the Belmont repeater site, hosting an 2m repeater (147.100+) which has excellent coverage of the wider Wellington area. The 70cm repeater at Mt Victoria (439.500-) should provide excellent service in the area of the conference.
- Upper Hutt Amateur Radio Club (ZL2VH, Branch 63 NZART) operate a 2m repeater above Upper Hutt (147.300+) which is accessible via IRLP (#6931) and can be worked across the Hutt Valley and parts of central Wellington. For more information refer to http://www.zl2vh.org.nz/
- Lower Hutt Amateur Radio Club (ZL2HV, Branch 18 NZART) operate a 2m repeater above Lower Hutt (147.000-) which can be reliably worked within the Wellington and Hutt Valley areas. For more information refer to http://www.zl2hv.wellington.net.nz/
Repeater Offsets in New Zealand are as follows:
- 2 Meters Up to 147.000Mhz: -600khz
- 2 Meters from 147.005Mhz-147.995Mhz: +600Khz
- 70 centimeters: +5Mhz
Wellington based amateurs known to be attending LCA2010 include Jim Pye ZL2PU and Mark Foster ZL1VMF, who both contributed to this page. Feel free to ask us for assistance.
- Please add or correct information as you see fit